Monday, October 15, 2012

Clean House, Clear Mind


Home-caring, the very act of cleaning, organizing and sanitizing your living space can be an energizing and stress relieving activity.  Look at it as an opportunity to move around, think and give your mind a break from life worries that tend to clutter our thoughts.  Personally, I love doing house work.  I find that it does more good to me than just being able to sit on a dust free sofa.

Boo!

I understand that it's not for everybody.  I, too, have days when I can't be bothered to lift a finger.  I could probably swing it for a day and a half without cleaning but let's be honest, who wants to live in a dirty space?  I know for a fact, the rewards of living in a clean and orderly home is reason enough to look past spending an hour or two puttering around the house.

There are ways to incorporate doing house chores into our day without it feeling like a monkey on our back. Understandably, the resistance to get it done sometimes weighs more than the promise of squeaky clean floors. Thankfully, these ideas suggest that it is possible to infuse some fun into the mundane.

First, let me share with you some tips on how to make cleaning simple and easy.

  • make sure everything has a place
  • wash dishes after every use
  • pick things up as you go
  • de-clutter and get rid of the unnecessary knickknacks that only collect dust in your house
  • put things away right after use
  • clear your surfaces
  • have all your cleaning supplies in one easy to carry basket/bin
  • put dirty clothes straight into the hamper
  • fold laundry as soon as they come out of the dryer.  (easier said than done I know!)

Here are some tips and tricks on how to make home caring enjoyable.

  • turn it into a work out session and sweat out all your frustrations
  • listen to music or play your favorite funny TV show in the background
  • listen to motivational audio books
  • sing your heart out, dance a little
  • turn it into a meditation session focusing on one task at a time
  • use it as a time to think deep thoughts
  • compose a letter/email or a blog post
  • talk to yourself  (I do that all the time and it may seem crazy but it's fun!)

A well maintained space promotes a peaceful state of being and mental clarity.  Without the distraction of things scattered around the house, we can direct our energy into more important matters.  My advice is to find something that motivates you.  These ideas continually help me see cleaning not as a humdrum task but rather exciting and fun.  Give it a try.

Happy house cleaning!