Friday, October 12, 2012

Do it Now!

Graz, Austria

I will clean my fridge...someday.
I will start running again...someday.
I will enroll in photography classes...someday.
I will join a book club...someday.
I will go to church..someday.

And the list goes on...

Does this sound familiar to you?  Newsflash, my friend!  Someday, is not a day of the week.

Meet my number one nemesis.  Procrastination.  I can not tell you enough how many important matters I've put off doing until the last minute out of pure laziness and truth be told, just habitual carelessness.  I have wasted so much time, hurt the people I love and brought nothing but undue stresses into my life.  It is a vicious cycle and I'm determined to put an end to it.

First, we need to identify the reasons why we fall into this nasty habit.

"It is difficult"  We often put off a difficult task and attend to things of easier nature.  Choosing the path of least resistance often leads to being unproductive which, in time and continued practice, eventually advances to personal failure.

"I don't have time for this"  Yes, you do! You have control over what consumes your time.  If it's really that important, make time and attend to it.

"I don't know anything about it"  Knowledge, by definition is information and skills acquired through experience and education.  You won't know until you give it a try.  That lame excuse is not valid. All the more reason why you should start way ahead.

"I'm afraid to fail"  Let me throw in a cliche' here.  It is better to try and fail than never have tried at all.  There's just nothing worst than spending your life wondering what could have been if only you tried, is there?
"Procrastination is the thief of time." -Edward Young 
What is the cure?  Some of you might ask.

Do exactly the opposite, do it over and over until it locks in.

I, for one, am a work in progress.  After all, it is (or was) my Achilles heel.  And, like most areas of my life, I still struggle with my daily limitations, fears and habits. With awareness and acceptance, I believe we are all off to a good start. A fast track to overcoming procrastination, so to speak.  The benefits are endless. I look forward to stress free days, more time for myself, increased productivity and most importantly, just feeling good about myself for making better choices.