Monday, October 1, 2012

Changing Directions



A month ago I made a decision that would change the course of my life.  I left my job to embrace a new chapter that would give me the satisfaction and freedom to lead my life the best I know how.  No longer do I have to look down so far from the sky to see what's coming but rather with my feet planted on the ground looking up.

I'd be lying if I tell you that it wasn't one of the (if not the most) petrifying decisions I've ever had to make. After all, being a Flight Attendant was a life long dream.  You know how little girls used to say, "Someday I will travel the world wearing that beautiful uniform."  I was once that little girl.  I knew it was the job for me.  So, for nearly a decade I did just that.  Christmas in New York, autumn in Paris, birthdays spent in my city of choice.  It was, to say the least, a wonderful experience. One that shaped the person I am now. 

Of course that decision didn't just happen without careful consideration.  I knew I had to make adjustments. I just didn't know where to begin.  One day, I decided to tackle an area of my life that dominated my space, consumed most of my time and attention.  My possessions.  Since leaving my job means packing my stuff, it was the perfect time to re-evaluate the significance of all the things I've accumulated over time.  Nearly 10 years of flying, over 100 pairs of shoes, 25 handbags, three closets full of clothes (mostly unworn and with tags on) and an overflow of makeup and beauty products.  It was at that very moment when I knew something has got to change.

I am not writing this for any reason other than to attempt to hold myself accountable in some way.  Please take this as an invitation to join me in this journey.  There is so much to say about changing directions in life. I know well for sure the hardest part is simplifying.  Simplifying my needs, my thoughts, my life.  It is a hard decision to make but one that I know is right for me.
"Everthing is hard before it's easy" -J.W. Goethe
I hope you are all doing well.

Much love, =-)