Thursday, October 4, 2012

One a Day

Masdar City, Abu Dhabi

One less thing that is.

The goal is to get rid of one thing every day until the end of the year.  As a result, by January 1st next year, I will be 88 things lighter and freer.  That way I am building my simplicity muscle, forming a habit that will eventually transform into a character through practice and repetition.

Why now?  Why the change?  Some of you may ask.

Why not?

It was made apparent through the purging process that my attachment to things falls under the "fling category." It was temporary and had very little meaning.  It took me no more than 2 days to go through mountains of unloved stuff and reduce it to a molehill of loved and needed belongings.  I couldn't think of a reason not to give it a try.

This article written by Leo Babauta of Zen Habits and mnmlist.com sums up my take on this subject.  I thought I'd share it with you.

Less is better.

Less means you spend less.  You need less storage.  You need a smaller house.

Less means you worry less.  You search for things less.  You are less bogged down by clutter.

Less means you're lighter.  You're freer.  You can focus on better things.

Less means you can travel more easily.  You spend less time with stuff, and more time doing stuff.

Less is more sustainable, more beautiful.


Well said Leo.